Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Metz, Another Home!

Day after tomorrow I would have been in France for 3 months. As cliched as it sounds and as cliched does saying that it sounds cliched sounds, time has flown away! I have realized that I have more European in me than American. The way of life in the US is different. The pace is hectic and there is little time to soak in everything that is going on. Being in Europe, living life the European way has been amazing. People work here but not at the cost of the small joys of life like enjoying an espresso out in the open in the sun, or that walk next to the lake, or just the pleasure of buying fresh baguettes every evening at the local Boulangerie! It is not untrue that the French love their Bread, their wine and their cheese. Honestly, what is there not to like! The French are a very proud people who love their language and their lifestyle a little too much for their own good..... But this has become home now. Another home I must add..

I came to Metz about 3 months ago not knowing what to expect from the city. I still remember when I first arrived in Metz, after having left home more than 24 hours before and having missed a flight and a train, as I came out of the station, snow was falling ever so silently as the big Christmas tree outside the station soared into the sky glittering. I remember an instant smile swiping across my face and all my tiredness evaporating as I got the first glimpse of my new home. Little did I know I would soon fall in love with this place they call Metz(Pronounced Mess).

Metz is the capital of the Lorraine region and is economically and geographically a very important region. Germany and France have been in the past involved in a tug for this region, and it has at times been a German city. As a result, in many parts of the city you can find German influences like the extensive use of wood in houses.
Metz is an industrial and technical hub with many technical schools in the region along with a lot of industry. But what makes Metz the city it is, is the simple people of the town. Even though not one of the bigger or richer cities of France, people look happy and content. It is not unusual to exchange pleasantries with people at stores or in the markets or just on the road in general.

Like everyone else, I too came into France with the notion that the French are rude and arrogant and not at all helpful. What I have found in my 3 months here is absolutely to the contrary. One thing I have to say though is that you have to make an effort to speak their language. They see you trying and they will be extremely helpful. From Paris to Perpignian, I have had some great experiences with French people, especially when I have been in a dire need for help. I think it is the loud and insensitive tourists that get the cold shoulder here and it is those few incidents that have made the French infamous. Or maybe it is just my love for the language and my continued to efforts to speak it that I haven't had many bad experiences.

So what do I do in Metz? Where do I stay? What do I cook? What's my favorite bar?...
My apartment here one of the most charming and reasonably priced one person apartments I've seen. The place where we live is a residence complex which is sort of like a dorm. The 4 halls are color coordinated and I happen to live on the Green one. The wall,s doors and floors in the halls are of the particular color of the hall. In each hallway there are doors that open into a spacious one person apartment with an attached kitchen and bathroom. The space isn't the biggest but the the designs are such that even the space is utilized really efficiently making the room look very spacious and comfortable. I absolutely love my room. I cook a lot often experimenting with spices and meats and sauces which we all happily eat in groups over delicious vines and beers.

Back to the city of Metz. Now even though I have traveled a lot outside of Metz, I have had the chance to spend a good amount of time in Metz as well. One of the first things I had seen, was an old Concentration camp called Fort Queuleu literally 10 minutes walking from where we stay. The first time I had gone was after hours and we had actually snuck in. It was a full moon night and the moonlight shone of the white snow to give it an eerie feel. One could see where the prisoners must have been held back in the day on the massive premise.
Also very close to where we stay is an old cemetery with graves dating back to the 1700's.
The Moselle river runs through the city and actually runs all the way into Germany and meets with the Rhine there. On the river is an old deserted protestant church that looks magnificent when the sun shines down on it. Next to this church is the Place de la Comedie which is actually the oldest running Theater in France. It has a wide Facade with cobble stoned roads leading to it. On the other side of the river is the Cathedral of Saint Etienne. Absolutely unmissable, it rises high and takes over the whole frame when you look at it even from far away. It is one of the bigger cathedrals I have seen in Europe. The interior is grand and high with the stained glass work one of the best I have seen. From the cathedral you can walk into the narrow alleys and cobblestone roads that are lined with boutique stores and bars and shops that comprise this city center. It is fun getting lost in these alleys and then stumbling upon an interesting bar or restaurant. One of my favorite parts of the city center is the Place Saint Jacques. The square is lined by bars and restaurants on all sides, and all of them lay out chairs and tables once the winter cold is gone. People throng the square when the sun's out and it's a pleasure to have a beer or a gelato as you relax at this square.
Something that one comes across a lot in Western Europe at least is Turkish and Lebanese Kebab joints. It's almost like comfort food. Soft pita like bread, filled with Shawarma meat, topped with tomatoes, lettuce, onions and the works and topped with a special white sauce, served with Frites or Fries. The meal is an absolute to die for and every place makes it a little different.
Talking about food, I have to speak about beverages as well. As far as watering holes are concerned, there are plenty, and to be honest I haven't been to many but that's because I found the best one right at the start. Its called Les Berthom or the tree bar and is located close to Place Saint Jacques. The place as the name suggests has trees growing within or at least that's what it seems like. The colors inside our different browns and from the tables to stools to the bar top is 'tree' like colors. My reason for visiting it often is their Happy hours during which you get 2 for the price of 1 on their selection of Belgian Tap Beers. They have a good selection of Beers, but more than anything it is absolutely Fresh and lives you literally smacking your lips.
If that didn't get you excited there are many other bars in town including a few Irish pubs. The Cafe Comedie that overlooks the river is another very interesting bar serving unique shots to go with the beers. Their are also clubs in town but unfortunately I haven't been able to find time to go. Tiffany and Guess club seem to be two of the more trendy clubs.

The other day when my mom and my sister were in town, and then did I see my city from their eyes, that I realized how charming a place this is. From Latin,Roman and German influences, this is a very eclectic town which prides itself on its art and theater while not failing to identify itself as truly French city!

Metz has become my home. This might sound unusual but Metz has become more a home than even Atlanta even though I have stayed there for longer. Maybe it's the people, maybe it's the atmosphere or maybe it's just the timing. My semester here is turning out to be great for a number of reasons other than the traveling as well. Though I still plan to travel to other great European cities, I can safely say that the memories of Metz will always remain imprinted in my heart!

Je manquerai cette ville et les personnes ici beaucoup!!


(p.s: Pictures to all my blogs will come soon. Sorry it looks really drab and boring right now)

No comments:

Post a Comment