Sunday, February 28, 2010

Paella de Valencia!

The trains in Spain, though more expensive than the ones in France, have been a level above in terms of luxury. With the AVE being the Spanish version of the TGV, it is a train that moves silently at great speeds, stopping only at major cities. With wooden floors, big windows and a very gracious staff, these trains are a pleasure to travel on. Another thing I had gotten used to was watching the movie they showcased in these trains. On our way to Valencia via Madrid, I watched the movie called Amazing Grace. . A very interesting movie based on a real story, based in the 1700's Britain. It highlights the work of one Mr. William Willburforce who rallied fellow members of the house of commons for years to abolish Slave trade. A very interesting movie that I got completely lost in, forgetting that I was in fact, on a train....

Walking out of the station in Valencia, at once I got the impression it was a busy town. Workers, tourists, businessmen, all shared the sidewalks that led away from the main plaza. We walked to our hostel, and we could see already that this town had a big party scene. Bars everywhere, merchants selling fans and hats everywhere, and multitudes of students brimming about the streets. After talking to the Parisian who worked the desk in French, and her pulling my leg and telling me she didn't think too much of my French, we left for a Tapas bar. Since one of the people in our group was meeting a friend studying in Valencia, she knew the places to take us to. The Tapas bar, essentially specialized in tapas or 'pinchos' from bask country; The region of Navarra and around. I had the most delectable tapas there, including a croquette which is a fried cheese ball with tuna, on a slice of baguette. They also had a local drink which was an alcoholic apple cider they made at the bar.

We went to a few surrounding bars, had a few drinks. I had the sangria, which the make with effortless ease in Spain, and it is as good as the best of cocktails one can have. We stopped by at a bar that had club music on, but soon left for home as we were all tired from the day of traveling.
Waking up the next morning, I saw sunshine seeping in a plenty, through the one big window in our 12 person room. It ought to be a good day, and I brought out my shorts after about 5 months, and my first time in Europe since I've been here. It didn't take us long to find a paella stand in the sun and we were quick to grab seats at a bar style restaurant operated from a sort of stand stall. There was one person working the counter serving up the famous Paella Valencia to the hungry customers that were coming in going. A big plate of Paella and a cold beer with the perfect head was the perfect day to the start. The paella had chicken ribs, something that I had never tasted before. The ribs are very flavorful, but not too fleshy. None the less the Paella was truly lip smacking. Next up we went to the big Mercat, or market. Absolutely amazing. Stalls and stalls of people selling fruits and vegetables and meats and fish and cheese. Flavors and smells intertwined with each other seeped our noses, at once making us crave food. The market was bustling with people, of all shapes and sizes, buying things of all shapes and sizes. The rest of the day we spent wandering from place to place, essentially following the sun. I have now a confirmed theory of how wandering about, if you have the time is the best way to see a city. One gets to see everything from the way markets work, to people work, to what tourists see. And every now and then you discover this gem, that you can proudly say you discovered, and not many would know about!

Our night was to be crazy. I admit, I have become American in the way I party, I like to pregame or drink a 'little' before going out. We played a few games, which I rather not mention here. A few drinks later, a little buzzed we went to the bar/club. In Spain quite a few bars turn their lights off and turn up the music, turning into semi clubs. People stay at bars till about 3 or 4 and then proceed to the clubs. I wouldn't lie but I can't party like the Spaniards as yet, and had to go sleep after the first bar, which was incredibly fun. I didn't get to see Valencia as well as I would have liked, but it was definitely a city with a great vibe.....



…....... Read on for Barcelona and the home Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment